IHG includes hotels such as the Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Candlewood Suites, Staybridge Suites and Intercontinental. Every quarter they offer a ‘PointsBreak‘ Promotion where a certain list of hotels costs just 5,000 points per night. You can book up to two stays per hotel and each stay can be as long as you would like. The number of available nights is limited per hotel so its always a good idea to book the PointsBreak hotels early to avoid missing out. The latest PointsBreak promotion goes live tomorrow and is available for stays until 30th April. Each PointsBreak have a variety of hotels on it and the standard can vary. There are a two hotels that stand out to me on this list Hotel Indigo Krakow – Old Town which is a great hotel in a great location and the Holiday Inn Frankfurt Airport – perfect if you have a long layover in Frankfurt. If you don’t have enough Points there are ways of buying more at reasonable prices.
Buying Miles from IHG
IHG sell points to their members and frequently offer bonus points promotions, sometimes up to 100% bonus. Currently, I am targeted for up to 75% bonus IHG points when I purchase points through my IHG account until the 5th February. If I max out this promotion, I will get 105,000 points for $690. This is roughly €645. You could get 21 nights in points break hotels for 105,000 points making each stay €31ish. You don’t need to purchase the full 105,000 points there are increments you can purchase.
Book and Cancel
This isn’t exactly kosher but it allows you to buy more points quickly and cheaply. However, to take advantage of this you need to have at least 10,000 points in your IHG account. Then go make a booking (it can be for anywhere/anytime as you will be cancelling it). Make sure under Rate Preference you have Reward Night selected.
You will then be displayed a list of hotels with the outright price for the night in dollars and the cost per night if you use points.
This hotel costs $116.62 or 20,000 points per night. However, you can use 10,000 points and pay $70 so you are in effect buying 10,000 points for $70 or €65. If you then cancel the reward night, the total points (20,000) are credited to your IHG account. This credit is normally completed within an hour or two in my experience. These 10,000 points that cost €65 are enough for two PointsBreak nights making each night cost €32.50. Slightly more than maxing out the 75% promotion above but involves less up front cost. However, you can get it even cheaper.
For this hotel, you can use 35,000 points or 15,000 points and $125 for a reward night. This means you are purchasing 20,000 points for $125 or €116. These 20,000 points are enough for 4 PointsBreak nights making each night cost €29.
This only works if you already have at points in your IHG to use towards this ‘temporary’ booking and are looking to purchase more points. I haven’t done this trick in about a year so I can’t be 100% sure it still works. Just make sure the reward rate is fully cancellable and the worst thing that would happen is the dollar amount is refunded to your credit card.
The full list of Hotels involved in this quarters PointsBreak are posted below. If you are looking to take advantage of this promotion I’d advise booking early.
Hotels in Asia and Australia:
People’s Republic of China
- Holiday Inn Express Baoji City Centre
- Holiday Inn Beijing Shijingshan Parkview
- Crowne Plaza HangzhouOneThousandIslandLake
- Holiday Inn Express Nantong Xinghu
- Crowne Plaza Tianjin Jinnan
Hotels in Africa:
Hotels in South America:
Hotels in Latin America and Mexico:
Hotels in North America:
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites El Dorado
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pine Bluff
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Russellville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Morton Peoria Area
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rock Falls
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Garden City
- Candlewood Suites Fort Campbell – Oak Grove
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pikeville
- Candlewood Suites Denham Springs
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Iberia-Avery Island
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raceland – Highway 90
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dearborn SW – Detroit Area
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lansing-Dimondale
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Farmington Hills – Detroit
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raleigh NE – Medical Center Area
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Reidsville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rockingham
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blackwell
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites El Reno
- Staybridge Suites Oklahoma City – Quail Springs
- Holiday Inn Express Athens
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Covington
- Holiday Inn Express Memphis East I-240
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raymondville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Shamrock North
- Staybridge Suites Tomball
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Zapata
Hotels in Europe: